Saturday, March 28, 2015

It's A Circus

I'd like to think that part of the reason you read or write a blog is so another person doesn't have to do as much work as you. You read and share experiences so you know what's good, what's bad, what's best. It's like Yelp on steriods.
So when I have a good experience I just have to talk about it. I haven't stayed in hundreds of hostels in Europe but, I know a good experience when I have it. AKA: Circus Hostel.





To begin, it covered all the basics:
  • clean bathrooms and showers
  • plenty of mirrors and sinks
  • clean in general
  • comfy beds
  • nice sheets
  • small locking storage by your bed with a built in reading light
  • free Wi-Fi (soo important)
  • free luggage storage
  • towels for only a euro to rent
  • key card locks on the doors
  • variety of sleeping options
All for about $25 US dollar a night. But, it went beyond that. The staff was so friendly and funny. The rooms had fun designs all over the wall. They had free/cheap activities run by the hostel like free walking tours of Berlin, pub crawls, group dinners, and, of course, a Cards Against Humanity night (Tuesday, I believe).

The Lobby.
Okay, so two of my favorite things about this hostel. The first involves food. Because, well, it's me. Duh, it's about food. They had a brunch service that went from about 8 AM to 1 PM. For 5 euro, you got your choice of cappucino, tea, or juice and full access to the buffet. And this was no ordinary buffet. It was real, good, fresh food-- and there was a lot of it. Let's let the picture do the talking.

In case you're wondering, this is not normal for a hostel.
Number two: the social aspect of this place. It has a bar in the basement! Which is also a microbrewery! Like. What? So, when we checked in we got a coupon for a free beer downstairs from the microbrewery. Also, since Berlin night life is craaaazy, no one goes out to actual bars until at least midnight. So at about nine every night people crowd into the bar to do some cheap drinking until they go out and actually do the bar scene. All of the drinks were pretty reasonably priced too. I think I paid 3 euro for a bottle of cider.

But, it was more than just the fact that it had a bar that made it social. The Circus is a pretty big hostel. You had the opportunity to meet so many people from around the world. And frankly, that's my favorite part about staying in hostels. And I think that, the people we forged relationships within our short time there, was what made our stay truly so wonderful.

Basically, it went like this. I ended up having the coolest bunk mate a girl could ask for. He's a twenty seven year old with perpetual baby face and a heart of gold who bought a one way ticket to Belgium. I think he's in Dubai by now. Meet Steven:

He loves getting his picture taken.
He'd probably kill me if he knew I put that picture up there. Oh, well. All of us were actually legitimately sad to leave each other. We exchanged emails, hugged, turned our mouths down in sadness. That kind of unusual for someone you've only known for days.

That and on Saturday night, after coming home from a six hour walking tour of Berlin exhausted, deciding to just go downstairs for one beer but ending up being up until 4 AM with a clan of UK guys who could not stop buying everyone a round of drinks. They were supposed to go out but never ended up leaving the hostel. It was a melting pot: Scots, Brits, Irish, Americans, Canadians, Germans, and one very entertaining Cuban from Miami. Oh, and the Scots are officially my favorite nationality to drink with now. But, there's no proof without pictures.




Shortly before taking the picture above, my friend Emily was informed that it was not a flannel she was wearing, but a tartan, and that she was never to refer to it as a flannel again.

We were legitimately depressed to leave for Paris. Something I never thought I could imagine, Paris being my bucket list like Number Two. It was an incredible stay. If I ever find my way back to Berlin, which I hope I do, I'll definitely be returning.

Oh, and did I mention they have a David Hasselholf museum downstairs?

The Hoff
 Only in Berlin, right?

xoxo
lauren 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio