Monday, February 9, 2015

Food Adventures: Campagna Amica Market

This is one of my favorite things to do in Rome: the Saturday/Sunday Farmer's Market near Circus Maximus. It's just so much good in one small place. Let me make a list for you:
Fresh, fresh, fresh, fresh, fresh.

 
  • fresh cheeses that they cut in front of you
  • fresh dried and raw meats (the butchers usually have shaved sandwiches for sale also)
  • fresh fruit (right now there's lots of citrus but usually pears and apples too)
  • baked goods including breads, pastries and cookies
  • cheap and great tasting wine (an awesome combination)-- they actually sell wine by the jug for 7 euro
  • olive oil and unusual spreads
  • any jam you can think of








Last but certainly not least is my favorite part of this market: lunch. All of the vendors get together and put together a meal. You have your choice between two different kinds of primi (pasta) or secondi (meat). You also get a nice crusty slice a bread and your choice between wine or water. All for about 6 euro. And it's some of the best food I've had in Italy. Here's just a few plates that I've had so far.
For the win: seasoned beef, sauteed cabbage and steamed spinach. Finish with a glass of red.

I don't even like polenta. But I ate the entire thing.

Some of the best part of the lunch, aside from its cheapness, is the fact that it is authentic Italian food. Not necessarily the authentic meals you would get in a four course restaurant but, authentic in the fact that this is what people plate for their families. It's cool to get a glimpse of that.

I don't want to say that we basically go every weekend. But, I would be lying to say that we didn't.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio