Sunday, January 25, 2015

Weekend 1: The Roman Forum/ Colosseum and Lazio Countryside

Buenacera! (Or maybe it's Bonjourno for you!) Either way...

This is the first of many posts about my Study Abroad experience here in Rome Italy. I'll try to update weekly and not only tell you what I'm doing but, what you could be doing too, especially if you're planning on study abroad here-- or really anywhere for that matter.

So without further ado, here is Weekend 1.



The Colosseum

I don't care how hipster you think you are, there is no way you can be in Rome and not see the Roman Forum. It's like being in Chicago for the first time and not trying deep-dish or going to Paris and walking around with a blindfold on because you're too cool to see the Eiffel Tower. I think I've made my point.

So, included in the Roman Forum is the Colosseum-- the enormous ruins of a gladiator stadium. It's what you'll find on most tourist post cards from the city. Strangely enough though, it wasn't very busy. I was with my school group (about 250 of us) and we definitely took up a good amount of the head count in the place. You have the option of doing a guided tour or walking around by yourself, which is the usual deal at most of these types of places (AKA non-museums). Honestly, the only special bonus to the guided tour is that you get to go down onto, what once was, stage level, and then up to the highest level. Personally, I thought wandering around the two main levels and reading all the postings was just as good. It allowed for far more curiosity.

Since arriving in Rome, I've been surprised by how much the Colosseum impressed me. The first time I saw it we were on a scavenger hunt throughout the city of Rome at night (I know I say that like it's a totally normal thing). We had just gotten off the Metro and walked up through the station. While the others I were with bought more tickets for the night, I walked out of the station and wham there it was. I know I'm normally hyperbolic but, it really did hit me like a bus. Or a train. Or some other vehicle gorged with history and blushing with an up-lit glow against a dark sky. I stopped me dead in my tracks.


On Saturday when we were there, it was a different experience but one that still floored me. The interior is magical. Mostly because you spend an hour wandering around these ruins trying to imagine how it all looked originally-- white marble, stage in the center, the wealthy on the bottom, poor on the top. It's amazing. And older than what I can often fathom. Fun tid bit: they used to flood the stage floor and have naval battles. Can we all have a group what?

The Roman Forum

We spent the rest of Saturday let loose into the Roman Forum which is essentially what's left over of what used to be the heart of the great and ancient city of Rome. There's little boxy buildings shoved into the hill that used to be a market place, the baths, this grand villa, temples, and even the tomb of Julius Caesar (who was actually murdered in Africa, not Rome, by the way). You could basically spend forever there. We were there four or five hours and didn't even see everything. The gardens are magnificent. It's actually a little overwhelming how amazing all of it is. You almost go on autopilot at a certain point looking at everything. I was constantly reminding myself of how precious, ancient, and incredible all of it was.


Probably my favorite part of the Forum was when you climbed up through the villa and the gardens and you could get to a point that overlooked the whole of Rome. Not only is it absolutely breathtaking but it was the first moment I really realized I got to live here for the next four months or so. Really, how lucky am I? One of the things I love most about Rome, as compared to a place like Chicago, is that when you look out over the city you don't have a bunch of skyscrapers in your way, which believe me, I appreciate too. In Rome, it's different. You're at eye level with a bunch of brown, pink, and yellow buildings, hazy in the sunset. You feel like you're apart of it all. Not looking down on it. And, you know, I've learned that the Italian culture is the same way too. People are warm and welcoming. You can have a random conversation with locals just because they're walking in front of you on the street. The very physical landscape of the city reflects the people itself.


The Lazio Countryside

I am definitely a city girl. I think I've been one for as long as I can remember. However, I have fallen in love with the Italian countryside. I mean, how could you not? 

We toured two different villas-- one in the morning and one after lunch. The first was Villa Lante, a former residence of a bishop, in Bagnaia. It's hidden in the back of the charming little town clinging to the side of a hill, laundry quaintly dangling from lines below windows. We pulled up-- so touristy it actually hurt-- and there were locals already standing outside of their shops, making conversation with their neighbors. One older woman, curlers in her hair, was actually waving to us from her bedroom window as we left.

The best thing about Villa Lante was the gardens. There was so many cool things to see in it, and it seemed to never end really. There was always another level up to climb. My favorite part about seeing these gardens, despite the fact that it was winter, was that it gave you a glimpse into the recreational life of the wealthy of the time. I could just see people sitting, relaxing, reading, walking. It made me feel like a medieval scholar. There was even a bench used for pranks that would spray water on the gentle ladies. Who says bishops don't know how to have a good time?


Then, there was Villa Farnese in Capraola which used to be the home of a cardinal. The mansion is massive. Its shape is a giant pentagon with a perfect circle in the center for the courtyard. Part home, part fortress, the Villa is incredible. The sheer size of its base is amazing, but the frescoes inside are what you drop your jaw for. There were no furnishings left but, that honestly did not matter because there was so much to look at one the walls. I was just in awe. I don't even know what I'll be like when I see the Sistine Chapel (probably a mess). I'll just let the pictures do the talking for this one:


A thousand words per, right?

Random side note: lunch. We trekked up to a farm/restaurant where I had the best meal so far in this country. First course was homemade cavatelli pasta in a creamy truffle sauce. Second course was chicken leg on the bone, baked in white wine and served with rosemary potatoes. Dessert was some sort of dense yellow cake, speckled with dark chocolate and topped with a rum soaked donut hole. Oh, and did I mention the owls? They had freaking owls for our entertainment. 

Did you think I was kidding? Because I wasn't.

I really am such a lucky girl. I know this was waaaay too long of a post but, there was just so much to say. The goal is to keep at this once a week with maybe some side posts. Ciao.

xoxo
lauren


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio